Skip to main content

And we're off...


Deanna McCurdy
Red Top Rumble 2012
 For most who know me, I have about a hundred ideas in my head, all flying around in different directions.  I don't sit still for very long, so taking the time to actually organize and write down my thoughts is going to be one of my toughest challenges.  I, however, feel compelled to share our story, the journey our family is undertaking into the world of raising a child with special needs, trying to live a "normal" life for our other child, and squeeze in training and racing in all of our "free" time.  Tune in often to learn more about our Hayden Grace, age 4, who has Angelman Syndrome and what we are doing to use our talents to the fullest to help give her as many opportunities as life has to offer.  This adventure is hard and oftentimes straight uphill, but I know in my heart one day, when we reach the top, we will look back and smile at the path we took to get here -giving it our all every step of the way.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Bucket List

I think most people are born with dreams of goals they wish to accomplish.  As children, we don't think twice, we dive in without hesitation.  I remember watching my Hailey at 10 months decide she wanted the banana I was holding.  She stood up and took 3 steps towards me to get it.  She had not been cruizing around furniture to practice, she wasn't fearful, she just went for what she wanted and got it.  Hayden, although it took her until age 3 1/2, was the same way.  She didn't really have an interest in walking - why would she, the child could break records with how fast she could crawl and climb.  One hot August afternoon, we were playing in the backyard when the sprinklers on the golf course behind our house turned on.  With obsessive passion, Hayden had to get to the water -as most know, children with Angelman Syndrome have a bizarre fascination with water.  She started walking straight toward the golf course.  I, of course, sta...

Living the Dream... or pretending to...

I sat in the doctor's office last Wednesday with an overwhelming feeling of anxiety, on the verge of tears, waiting for the doctor to come in. When she entered, she smiled and asked me to tell her a little about myself. I started sharing my symptoms: overwhelming fatigue, sleepless nights for months, a shoulder injury, chronic hip/hamstring issues, anxious heart palpations, heartburn, indigestion, and the feeling like life is never going to get easier and each day is an uphill, lonely climb. She then asked me what had been going on in my life over the past few months leading up to this visit. Let's see... raising money for our charity and racing in my first Ironman triathlon, a move across the country, a new job for my husband where instead of having the flexibility of working from home, helping with the kids, and making his own hours, he is now working for a large company, punching a clock and working very structured hours, new schools, chronic...