Skip to main content

Learning to be the Light

“I don't get it,' Caroline said, bemused. 'She's the only one with wings. Why is that?'
There were so many questions in life. You couldn't ever have all the answers. But I knew this one.It's so she can fly,' I said.Then I started to run.”

― Sarah Dessen (The Truth About Forever)


Hayden Grace McCurdy, age 4
Angelman Syndrome, Del (+)
I have not read "The Truth About Forever" by Sarah Dessen, but I saw this quote and a warm understanding churned within me.  My sweet precious little girl, Hayden Grace, was born with a genetic disorder, Angelman Syndrome.  These children are called "angels", not only because the term can be derived from the condition, named after a Henry Angelman who labeled it back in the 1960's, but because these children possess such a sweet innocence about them.  Their smile can light up a room.  I truly believe they have a direct connection to God above and they see the world through His eyes.

I have asked God hundreds of times "Why did you do this to my little girl?" "Why can she not speak, struggle with walking, eating, sleeping, interacting with her sister?" "What did we do to deserve this life?"  It is a hard life, harder than anything I could ever have imagined facing a few years ago.

The answer to the above questions is being revealed to me daily, usually when I am at my lowest point.  Sometimes it is in a song, like John Waller's "While I'm Waiting" -the lyrics became my mantra throughout Hayden's first 2 years of life when we fought illness after illness and finally coming to terms with her diagnosis. "While I'm waiting I will serve you...I will run the race, even while I wait."  After moving back to Peachtree City and beginning to run hard and race again, I found my passion through Chris Tomlin's "Our God".  I began to realize that Our God truly is Greater, Stronger, Higher than any other.  Our God is the Healer.  He is Awesome.

Last year, only days before attempting my first 1/2 Ironman in honor of my little girl, I heard Matthew West's "Strong Enough".  Little did I know this song would resound in my head during the final miles of the run, when the mind was the most vunerable to giving in to the temptation to stop.  I do believe it was God who was speaking to me through the lyrics, reminding me of Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."  I don't have to be strong enough on my own.

This year, I keep waiting to hear that powerful song, the one that pushes me towards the finish line.  I am struggling with a chronically tight calf which irritates the Achilles tendon, a strain in my hip and a sore foot on the opposite leg.  Every run and bike ride I do hurts.  My husband now travels during the middle of the week for work so on my own, I am trying to give Hailey (age 7) a normal life with all the opportunities a little girl deserves, while toting Hayden along, who gets into everything, can only walk short distances on her own, and breaks my back to carry.  My family has not asked to babysit our girls, specifically Hayden, in a year, even though they live a few miles away.  This truly hurts me at my deepest core.  I have good children.  I know Hayden is a challenge, but she is a challenge for me too.  There is no manual for her.  We have to learn through daily (and nightly) experiences just like everyone else in the special needs world.   David's family has not been around us much this past year after his dad suffered an aortic aneurysm rupture that left him in the hospital for 4 months just prior to my 1/2 Ironman last summer.  He, fortunately, is doing well now, slower, and has retired his business which was a couple miles from our house.  My mother-in-law fell apart as a result of not being able to accept that life changes and has been battling her own set of issues since.  We used to see them almost weekly when they stopped by after work and watch the girls so Dave and I could get a much-needed break and work out together.  Without the help of our family, our breaks are fewer and much more far in between and my training, well, a luxury when I can fit it in.  I find myself questioning why I am trying to still train through the pain, the lack of free time and fatigue. 

Please understand I am not looking for sympathy.  I am not a "woe is me" person.  I believe all things happen for a reason, part of a bigger picture that is being revealed every day if we take the time to think, pray and reflect.  Injury, as I have learned over the years, if taken care of, is temporary.  The painful runs now help make the pain-free ones feel weightless and wonderful.  I know most people have not had to go through what our family has over the past few years, but as a result, my relationship with my Father above is so much stronger and I live each day in faith, filled with His grace and forgiveness.  I realize our story is touching people in ways I never imagined.  Granted, at times I feel like I am being scrutinized, knowing that some people are waiting to see me screw up, which I do often, but that is human.  Fortunately, God forgives and hopefully others will too.  I am perhaps cynical of those who have so much: healthy children, homes, careers, talent, but don't appreciate their fortune.  I judge yet wish not to be judged (yes, there is a parable about that and I remind myself of it often).  I find myself humming a new song for this season of life, "Learning To Be The Light" by Newworldson.  Hopefully, as I grow in this journey, though this challenging season, I can help others as well.

Life could be easier, but I wouldn't be writing this blog if it were.  It could be boring, instead it is a daily, thrilling, albeit exhausting, adventure. I might not be able to cross as many finish lines as others, as fast as others, but each race that I do have the opportunity to attempt will indeed be memorable.  I am thankful for a little angel and her wings -she helps me glimpse a little of God's world through her eyes.  She inspires me to dream bigger and be a bigger person.

Now, time to lace up my shoes and go for a run.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"You can't fly if you don't believe in the strength of your wings."

You can't fly if you don't believe in the strength of your wings." -Stephanie Henshaw Thoughts on the Eve of a New Year... My wonderfully dear, inspiring friend and fellow Angel mom, Candy Granger-Underhill, posted this quote on her Facebook wall.  I couldn't help but think of how perfect the words were for our lives, she in the mountains of Colorado and me here in Georgia.  Candy, mom to angel Sam, a little Angel the same age as Hayden, ran her 1st 50K to raise money and awareness for Miles for Smiles in 2011. For 2013, she is steppimg up her challenge and is pushing herself to compete in a 50 mile endurance race, Little Big Horn 50 mile in Idaho, this coming June. Candy is amazing.  Not only is she an incredible athlete, she is raising Sam, age 4, his beautiful big sister, Reece, and gave birth to a precious baby girl last May, just weeks before directing the Mountain to Valley 10 mile, F.A.S.T. 4 mile and Smiling Sam Kids Fun Run in Glenwood Springs

Tips from the Trail - Connecting...

Have you ever noticed how almost every aspect of our lives is calculated from the moment our alarm clocks sound at o'dark early to when we finally put our heads on our pillows and turn out the lights to wearily drift off to sleep after a long day of work, family, training, and running errands around town? I keep reading reports about how schools are cutting classes like recess and PE to fit in more instructional time; the goal being to make children more competitive academically with the rest of the world.   The CDC recommends elementary aged children receive a minimum of 150 minutes of physical education per week (30 min per day) in school and a total of 60 minutes/day of exercise activity. The emphasis in schools has shifted to test scores, STEM and gifted-talented programs, being the top student at the top schools to better prepare kids for the pressures of the "real world"... but is it working? According to a study published in the Journal of Health Economics, 32.6%

The Bucket List

I think most people are born with dreams of goals they wish to accomplish.  As children, we don't think twice, we dive in without hesitation.  I remember watching my Hailey at 10 months decide she wanted the banana I was holding.  She stood up and took 3 steps towards me to get it.  She had not been cruizing around furniture to practice, she wasn't fearful, she just went for what she wanted and got it.  Hayden, although it took her until age 3 1/2, was the same way.  She didn't really have an interest in walking - why would she, the child could break records with how fast she could crawl and climb.  One hot August afternoon, we were playing in the backyard when the sprinklers on the golf course behind our house turned on.  With obsessive passion, Hayden had to get to the water -as most know, children with Angelman Syndrome have a bizarre fascination with water.  She started walking straight toward the golf course.  I, of course, started crying and squeeling with excitement