Skip to main content

"It's just a thing"...

I confided with a friend of mine the other day of my anxiety going into 2014 and the goal of taking on the challenge of completing my first Ironman, Ironman Boulder, August 3, 2014.  Her candid reply:  "its just a thing."

I know she didn't mean much deeper than those words and in truth, it is just a thing.  For me, the race itself will hopefully be about 12 hours of my life... 1 day in the grand scheme of things.  My goal for the race specifically is not to qualify for the Ironman World Championships in Hawaii - if I wanted to do that, I certainly would not have picked a location like Boulder where the best triathletes, pros, former pro's, want to be pro's, and top age groupers, flock to live and train.  My goal for the race day is to stay calm in the water, not panic as I enter with a couple thousand other athletes, ride strong on the bike, and take in the run and all the beauty that makes Boulder an athete's paradise... and of course, do the best I can do on that day.

Her comment, however, did not settle well with me though.  For me, it is not "just a thing."  August 3rd might just be a day in my life, but the 7 months of long, fatiguing training days, of attempting to hold on to a balance of time with my husband and 2 little girls, of trying to give my oldest daughter, now 8, a "normal" childhood while juggling therapy appointments, insurance headaches, and the many other daily frustrations of raising a child who at age 5-6 can not speak, nor communicate well, sleeps far less than "typical" children and can be up for hours at a time during the middle of the night for no reason that we know, is not potty trained although we have been trying, has to receive maximum assistance to feed herself -which involves sweeping and washing the kitchen floor at least 4 times/day, and whose mobility is limited so on any particular day, my back or chronically injured hip can become inflammed.  For me, this "thing" is not merely my goal for a day.  Crossing the finish line in Boulder and earning a finisher's medal will be a family effort.  My husband is going to not only have to work full time (which in his world equals about 80 hours/week as he is in the 1st year of building his own financial planning practice), but he is also going to take on so many of the responsibilities that I help with.  Life is challenging when your almost 6 year old can't have playdates, requires complete and constant attention because she doesn't understand consequences to actions, puts anything she sees in her mouth, struggles to play with her sister, much to her sister's frustration, because she doesn't understand typical play, pulls hair, and scratches and pinches often. 

I know my race is also not "just a thing" for others as well.  Our little Angelman community is filled with amazing parents and children who daily defy limitations of what society believes their potential is.  Our children do so much more than just laugh or smile larger than life smiles when they meet someone or see a camera.  Our children fight every day, sometimes in giggled frustration, as they teach us how they can communicate, how they can walk, learn to use I-pads, feed themselves, and make an impact on society.  The parents of these children are nothing less than remarkable themselves.  Over the past few years, I have had the honor of getting to know many of these people who I now not only share a common diagnosis with, but a family bond that is stronger than any friendship I have ever known.  I cry for them when I hear of their Angels struggles with debilitating, life threatening seizures.  I rejoice with happy tears when I watch a video or see a photo of their child's first steps, first word, or thought communicated.

I hope this race inspires other people to believe in something bigger than themselves.  I hope it helps bring greater awareness for children with this rare genetic disorder.  I hope that through this goal, I can help raise funding to support research that will ultimately cure Angelman Syndrome.  I hope that my family will grow stronger in faith, in love, and together in this journey to the finish line on August 3, 2014.

I hope this is not "just a thing."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"You can't fly if you don't believe in the strength of your wings."

You can't fly if you don't believe in the strength of your wings." -Stephanie Henshaw Thoughts on the Eve of a New Year... My wonderfully dear, inspiring friend and fellow Angel mom, Candy Granger-Underhill, posted this quote on her Facebook wall.  I couldn't help but think of how perfect the words were for our lives, she in the mountains of Colorado and me here in Georgia.  Candy, mom to angel Sam, a little Angel the same age as Hayden, ran her 1st 50K to raise money and awareness for Miles for Smiles in 2011. For 2013, she is steppimg up her challenge and is pushing herself to compete in a 50 mile endurance race, Little Big Horn 50 mile in Idaho, this coming June. Candy is amazing.  Not only is she an incredible athlete, she is raising Sam, age 4, his beautiful big sister, Reece, and gave birth to a precious baby girl last May, just weeks before directing the Mountain to Valley 10 mile, F.A.S.T. 4 mile and Smiling Sam Kids Fun Run in Glenwood Springs

The Bucket List

I think most people are born with dreams of goals they wish to accomplish.  As children, we don't think twice, we dive in without hesitation.  I remember watching my Hailey at 10 months decide she wanted the banana I was holding.  She stood up and took 3 steps towards me to get it.  She had not been cruizing around furniture to practice, she wasn't fearful, she just went for what she wanted and got it.  Hayden, although it took her until age 3 1/2, was the same way.  She didn't really have an interest in walking - why would she, the child could break records with how fast she could crawl and climb.  One hot August afternoon, we were playing in the backyard when the sprinklers on the golf course behind our house turned on.  With obsessive passion, Hayden had to get to the water -as most know, children with Angelman Syndrome have a bizarre fascination with water.  She started walking straight toward the golf course.  I, of course, started crying and squeeling with excitement

Tips from the Trail - Connecting...

Have you ever noticed how almost every aspect of our lives is calculated from the moment our alarm clocks sound at o'dark early to when we finally put our heads on our pillows and turn out the lights to wearily drift off to sleep after a long day of work, family, training, and running errands around town? I keep reading reports about how schools are cutting classes like recess and PE to fit in more instructional time; the goal being to make children more competitive academically with the rest of the world.   The CDC recommends elementary aged children receive a minimum of 150 minutes of physical education per week (30 min per day) in school and a total of 60 minutes/day of exercise activity. The emphasis in schools has shifted to test scores, STEM and gifted-talented programs, being the top student at the top schools to better prepare kids for the pressures of the "real world"... but is it working? According to a study published in the Journal of Health Economics, 32.6%